Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pullet or Hen?

Technology is certainly an amazing thing!  16 years ago when I had my first chicken coop the internet was in it's infancy.  Certainly there wasn't anywhere near the information we have available to us today.

Now, after reading and researching and learning it is almost like experiencing everything with my new girls all over again.  For instance, with my very first chickens I had no idea what to look for in the way of visible changes when chickens go from being a pullet to being a hen.

Once again I have to thank Kathy The Chicken Chick for all of her information and for teaching me so much.  Kathy has a wonderful post at her blog about chickens combs and wattles becoming more red as they near laying age.  Since we have our first two layers I thought I would share a few pictures to show you the difference between our hens and pullets.

Oprah Orpington and one of our Cuckoo Marans are our current two layers.  Notice how nice and red their combs and wattles are.

This picture of three of our "Cuckoo Girls" really shows the difference between the pullets and the layer.
Can you guess which one of these girls is giving me beautiful brown eggs?

I am sure you guessed right.  The big girl in the back is our Hen and the two in front are pullets.  Isn't it amazing how starkly different they look? 

This is a picture of our two Buff Orpington girls.  Gilda on the left is not yet laying.  But Oprah is laying very well.  As of today we have collected a total of 8 eggs from our hen house!  I am so excited to make a very special breakfast very soon.

Another picture of Oprah Orpington and Gilda.  Just too pretty not to share.  I love how big and fluffy and beautiful the Orpingtons are.
I thought I would share one more picture from today.  This is Gwhen enjoying the new treat baskets I hung.  The temperature is about 63 outside so it is a GORGEOUS day!  The only thing that would make it a bit better would be if it was a little less windy.  But a 60 degree day in late December is a wonderful treat!

How are your girls doing?  Do you have some pullets that you are anxious to get eggs from?  I am so excited to get our first Easter Egger eggs!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment